Monday, June 1, 2009

Soul Searching at The Fox

Sunday Night, The Fox Theater was filled with good music as Chrisette Michelle, Musiq Soulchild, and Anthony Hamilton sang the music that we all love to hear...SOUL.

If you were not there at 730 (cause you thought this was a CP production) then you missed Chrisette Michelle, and such a rare treat she is at the young age of 26. She hit the stage looking casual in a black sequined jacket and black pants. Ever so smoothly she hoped right into her single "Epiphany". The pipes on this young lady is ridiculous. With the soul of a woman who has been through some thangs she sung "Be OK" from the first album and then my summer anthem "Blame It On Me". Which speaks of a relationship gone wrong that she is sick of. Because she was opening she didn't sing that many songs but she blessed us with "If I Had My Way." Which she funked out in the voice of John Legend, Erykah Badu and Anita Baker.


We almost missed Musiq Soulchild trying 2 get drinks, but we made it back in time to enjoy his classics and his rocking all girl band. The keyboard chick scared us a little bit with her hairdo but those ladies did their thang. Musiq also put on one hell of a show preparing the crowd for Mr. Hamilton. They were out of tune on "Who Knows" but he didn't mind cause he was super crunk and was feeling the love he was getting from the crowd. His backup singers really cut a fool during The Proud Mary set while Musiq went off stage. We were a little surprised that when he returned and sang "Radio" he didn't pull Murphy Lee, who was sitting quietly enjoying the concert in the front row, to have him do his remix of "Radio" that was featured on his Mix Tape. He came back just to sing "Love" and The Fabulous Fox went nuts. His ending note was one that I didn't know men were capable of doing. Musiq got busy hands down but that was just the soup for the main corse.


Headliner Anthony Hamilton hit the stage in his schoolboy outfit which included a snug shinny white members only like jacket. At first you didn't notice him because his fat boy backup singer was killing it, dude was dancing like he been battling since childhood. "Coming From Where I'm From" is definitely one of St. Louis favorite songs I could barely hear him singing for the crowd's (and some crazy lady behind me) screams. Several times he had folks (including CryssRenee) in tears yearning for the love that he was singing about. "Can't Let Go" had all of Grand Blvd. rocking and swaying. "Sis Big Bones" had all the big girls on stage shaking their jelly and made Team Chunk stand up. I'm so glad too because this allowed Silky Sol to have her shine moment and she worked that Red Afro right on stage. Silky was doing her thing but I think for one moment she thought she was performing cause she tried with all her might to get that spotlight on her. We ain't made at you Sol do yo thang but don't hurt nobody in the process. Anthony showed those sistas love and even threw a skinny chick or two in the dance. My feet were hurting from going to church Southern Baptist style, but if you were sitting down you know nothing about soul music. He sung of troubles that was going on in his life and he floored me with his connection to his lyrics.
Best concert St. Louis has seen this year by far for us. We may have been the only ones standing for the show but we didn't mind standing out in a crowd of lames that forgot what good soul music was all about it. Shout out to our faithful readers Icee, Miss Dionne, Tiffany and Mz Janee who were somewhere in the crowd having as much fun as us.

6 Comments:

Janee' said...

The concert was da bomb I enjoyed every artist everyone knows chrisete is my girl she should have been on a little longer but other than that I have no complaints....if u were not there u missed a very good concert...shouts out to the old skool peeps that still think its 1980 with the pinstripe suits on

ICEE said...

HEY LADIES YALL KNW I WAS IN THE BUILDING DANCING..SINGING..CRYING...AND KICKING IT HARD!!!!!! IT WAS REALLY A GREAT SHOW THE BEST CONCERT IVE BEEN TO IN A LONG TIME....... I AGREE WITH JANEE THE ONLY COMPLAINT WAS CHRISETTE WAS NOT ON LONG ENOUGH!!! OTHER THAN THAT IT WAS THE JAM!!!!

Anonymous said...

sounds real boring

My Natural Reality said...

hmmm I guess the message above me is anonymous b/c it was dumb of them to even say that lol...THE SHOW WAS BANANAS!!! StL was a real city for a change with Mint Condition, then this showcase of fine talent!! I was standing most of the time with ya Jami B (which is why I almost yelled out your real name, Pookie, b/c I was about 5 rows behind). And lol at folks singing so loud you bout lose track of whose getting paid...I almost asked the woman next to my friend to go away b/c she thought she was in church (Ant took us there, but she never left).

MISS DIONNE said...

THA SHOW WAS CRAZY! A VERY GOOD SHOW..CHRISETTE DIDNT HAVE ENOUGH TIME!!!!UGH IM A BIG FAN OF MUSIQ'S MUSIC AND DIDNT REALIZE IT UNTIL THA CONCERT! ANTHONY SOUNDED LIKE HIS CD! HIS ENERGY IS CRAZY...LOVED IT ! IF U DIDNT GO SUCKS TO B U!!!!!!!!!!!

Stls_Best said...

Miss Dionne is right... it sucks to be me. I missed the show. But I had twitter and suitestl to help a sista out. Thanks Ladies of the Lou. Now back to the commentary and pics