Monday, January 12, 2009

V.I.P. Suite: Gorilla Zoe

(photos taken by: Jami B, suiteSTL.com)

We’ve all heard the stereotypes of today’s rapper: Money, cars, clothes, sex, and sometimes vulgarity at its rawest form. Aside from his gear of sagging jeans, cocked hat, and oversize shirt Atlanta rapper Gorilla Zoe dispels those myths. His mannerism tonight is playful infused with a twang of southern charm, his answers are well thought out taking a pause before answering each question, and he is adamant about keeping it real at all times.

What are you bringing different to the table with your new album Please Don’t Feed the Animals?
I’ve done the club songs and the booty popping music you can only shake your ass so much. With this album I’m talking about real shit and real issues. This is something you never heard before from Zoe. This is album is about real life shit.

Were you surprised with this success of Hood Nigga?
I was surprised with success period. On the real this wasn’t guaranteed. I could’ve still been out there in the streets.

Where do you stand on the “hip hop is dead” issue?
Hip hop to me is just like dancing, it all evolves into something else. Saying hip hop is dead is just like Run DMC telling NWA they killing hip hop and NWA saying that to No Limit and No Limit to Cash Money and Cash Money to Soulja Boy. You have to adjust with change. Hip Hop is far from dead, it’s just changing.

Tell me one thing about you that people don’t know that you wish they understood about you?
I’m educated, well rounded, and just a real ass dude.

Pac or Biggie?
Pac, I could most definitely relate more to Pac, he was rapping about the type of stuff where I was at in my life, thugging.

Nas or Jay-Z?
Nas, and I say that because I love real shit!

Alonzo or Gorilla Zoe?
Alonzo, and I mean that because I am always Alonzo that is who I am and nothing will change that, but Gorilla Zoe is who I am at a certain time.

Gorilla Zoe was recently in St. Louis for the Lil Wayne concert in which he later offered the sound advice of “go hard and put your money together” to St. Louis rappers who are known for not working together (i.e. – New St. Louis vs Old New St. Louis). St. Louis has made a good impression on Zoe who says it reminds him of how Atlanta use to be, “down home”. Gorilla Zoe has worked with St. Louis’ own Jus Bleezy and is a fan of Kanye West, T.I., and Rick Ross. When talking with Zoe you can feel the humility and appreciation of the position he is in. It’s clear that he is aware that he is lucky to have the opportunity to go into the studio and pour out his heart through his passion for rapping. His video for his new single Lost just made is debut on 106 and Park last week, the song is also blazing the hip hop radio airwaves and is sure to be a top song of 2009. Make sure you grab a copy of his sophomore album Please Don’t Feed the Animals.

Cryssrenee, Gorilla Zoe and Jami B

19 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Good interview. I love Gorilla Zoe...one of the realest/coolest dudes around

ICEE said...

OMG IM SOOOOO PROUD OF U LADIES.......GREAT INTRVW WITH GREAT QUESTIONS THAT WE ALL (AT LEAST I DID) WANT TO HEAR THE ANSWERS TO......LIL UPSET ABT THE JAY NAS THNG BUT OK.....NO BUT 4REAL GREAT GREAT INTRVW YALL ON YALL WAY!!!!


JAMI B THAT IS A REALLY GOOD PICTURE OF YOU!!

Anonymous said...

GREAT INTERVIEW! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK LADIES! YALL GOIN HARD

Anonymous said...

Yes very good original questions I must say!

Ms STL said...

He has some serious sex appeal

Jami B. said...

ICEE - Thanks missy - I put a lot of work in finding the right head band and scarf to throw on so i didn't look to rough that night LOL

Anonymous said...

Gorilla Zoe doesn't seem like the type that from his music that would come off like this in an interview...I think i will be picking up his new CD

Nicole, Inc. said...

Great interview ladies. I see you CryssRenaee trying to look all serious in the background. LOL.

Anonymous said...

How did he make it to VIP Suite - you got st. louis artist that need to be on here and ya'll go get somebody from atlanta.

suiteSTL said...

Thanks guys for all your comments, as for anonymous at 11:41 if you are a St. Louis artist that wants to be spotlighted you have to email us we have no way of knowing who wants to be on the page. If you could be so kind to foward any info to our email we will hit you up. Thanks for stopping by and tell everyone you know about the site!!!!

Anonymous said...

So very proud of you Cryssrenee, you so have it in you "Tony". No on the real that what great interview. Wishing you the best.

Anonymous said...

great interview ladies, Zoe has a lil more sense than I ever gave any rapper

Anonymous said...

you look cute jami :)

Anonymous said...

I love Gorilla Zoe - he is so muthafukin real and i like him better than a whole lot of other whack artist in atl and def stl

Jazzy said...

I'm mad at JUST finding this page!

I've never heard of Gorilla Zoe, but found his answer to Nas or Jay-Z pretty interesting. I prefer Nas too, but his response kinda suggests that Jay'w work isn't "real shit"! *raised eye brow at that*

I also like that he's educated and it doesn't hurt that he's easy on the eyes too. Might have to check this dude out.

Suite...did you have short hair before? I can't remember...but I luv it!

Crys...luv the blonde on you...work it girl! lol

Anonymous said...

Yeah I've been on Gorilla Zoe since he was underground in Atlanta. He has come a long way and so many people sleep on his skills

Ms STL said...

I think I saw Pac the last time I was in Cancun

Power Couple said...

Gorilla Zo isn't exactly my style of music but i can respect his hustle and he seems to come off pretty cool - unless you all just wrote a favorable blog

ICEE said...

WAS TRYING REALLY HARD NOT TO COMMENT ON THE HATER(Anonymous)
HOWEVA I WLDNT BE ME IF I DIDNT AND I KNW THIS IS GOING TO PISS SOMEONE OFF BUT.....OH WELL HERE IT IS YES THERE ARE STL ARTIST THAT IM SURE THE LADIES WLD LOVE TO INTRVW AND IM SURE THEY WILL GET TO A FEW BUT I REALLY HOPE ITS NOT WELL I WONT SAY HIS NAME BUT IT STARTS WITH AN N AND ENDS WITH A Y I WLD LOVE TO READ A INTRVW WITH CHINGY...MURPHY....POTZEE.....EBONY EYES.....JIBBS.....J-KWON.. AND NO IM NOT HATING ON THAT MAN IM JUST SAYIN THAT THE LOU HAS SOME RAW TALENT THAT CANT SEEM TO SHINE FOR WHATEVA REASON MAYBE WE DNT SUPPORT THEM LIKE WE SHLD R WHATEVA IM JUST SAYIN.....