Wednesday, February 4, 2009

SuiteSTL Tribute To African American STL Natives



Maya Angelou was born in St. Louis on April 4th 1928. After her parents separation when she was just a toddler she was sent to live with her grandmother in Arkansas. She remained there until her father came and returned Angelou back to her mother in St. Louis. Although childhood tragedies like being molested by her mother's boyfriend (who was later murdered) Angelou stopped talking out of fear that her voice was the reason he died because she told on him. In her autobiography I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, she speaks of her life in an effort to reveal some of her past demons. The book brought her national success. Since then Angelou has written a serious of autobiographies as well as poetry, plays, and public speaking. Her collection of poems in Just Give Me A Cool Drink Of Water Fore I Diiie was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize. She has more than thirty honorary degrees and she was given a Presidential Medal Of Arts. Here at SuiteSTL we would like to honor Ms. Angelou for all her many accomplishments and for being a classy lady.

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know that she was from St. Louis, nor that she was that old, well ok I did know she was old. I love that poem Still I Rise, it has so much power behind it, the words are incredible

Anonymous said...

I never heard that peom before I like it alot

Jami B. said...

I will never forget the day that I was visiting with my God Mother and she had some friends over, one of them being Maya Angelou. She was just hanging out in North St. Louis for some afternoon tea like it was part of her daily routine. She spoke in calming and inspirational tone that I would later learn the true value of.

She really is a gem and a remarkable woman

Anonymous said...

wow u learn something new everyday, she doesn't rep the Lou because I had no clue that she was from here

ICEE said...

SHE IS A GEM!!! I LOVE HOW SHE TOOK SUCH A HORRIFIC LIFE EXPERIENCE THAT NO CHILD SHLD EVER HAVE TO GO THRU AND TURNED IT INTO SOMETHING SO BEAUTIFUL!!! I HVE MUCH RESPECT FOR THIS WOMAN!!

Janee' said...

OMG Jami you've met her I'm so jealous right now. She is the top person on my list to meet followed by Oprah and Patti Labelle. She is the only person I think I'll meet and actually be speechless...Her words and voice puts me at a calm no matter what mood I'm in oh I give so many reasons why I admire her but I don't want yall to think I'm stalking her. If I could a interview with her I'd retire from Radio...LOL

Janee' said...

BTW: Everyone needs to get her new book "Letter To My Daughter"