Sunday, April 19, 2009

Education is the Key

(from l-r) Charles Williams, Boogie D, Joe Williams, Kevin Chavous, Horace Sheffield, Dr. Ben Chavis, State Rep. T.D. El-Amin, Rodney Hubbard, Earl Simms, Ray Cummings, Aaron North, and Demetrious Johnson.

The Democrats For Education Reform gathered in St. Louis on Saturday at Harris-Stowe State University for a Town Hall Meeting with HOT 104.1. Demetrious Johnson and Rodney Hubbard moderated the event which brought together educators, national community activist, educators and parents. Charter schools and providing kids with the choice of education became the focus of audience members and panelist. Kevin Chavous, an author, national educational activist, and attorney who resides in D.C. spoke about how he is not against public schools but more focused on giving children a good education. I've heard the argument for years about why people think charter schools are a bad idea and how they claim they don't have any rules or anyone to answer to. The St. Louis Public Schools have to answer to plenty of people and they have been failing our kids for years. Not providing them with the tools they need to be prepared to further their education. Just because you have a Union, a board, doesn't mean you are the best choice for kids and should be the only choice for our kids. 

How do you feel about St. Louis Public Schools and Charter Schools. Is there a difference, should you have a right to choose the right education for your child.

3 Comments:

My Natural Reality said...

Charter schools have plenty of people to answer to...the "state" just typically isn't one of those people. Confluence Academy, for example, answers to a board of politicians, activists, professors, and the likes, Univ of Mo-Rolla, and Edison Inc. (a company that services hundreds of charter schools across the country and I believe the UK). Now, do I think they're different, the same, better, or worse than public schools? Education is what you make of it regardless of where you are. There are great teachers and students in each type of school.

With that said, please don't be fooled into thinking kids are so much smarter or more well-behaved in a public charter school vs a public school. When the public schools close down or go through their issues, where do you think those students transfer to?! Parents need choices because without an education you have NOTHING to offer yourself or those around you...I guess that's more than my two cents:)

suiteSTL said...

My kids are currently in Charter Schools and I hate them now. When they first started five years ago, it was good. First they made sure my kids had good report cards, good behavior history, and they tested them as well. Since more public schools have closed the charter schools are taking in everyone as T Nash stated, I had to transfer my son out of Ethel Hedgeman Lyle Middle and High because their was a fight every single day. The last straw was when they were loading the bus and a group of guys ran on the parking lot and started fighting everyone in sight including teachers. St. Louis Public and Charter schools need a revamp. -----CryssRenee

Tracy B said...

I believe it is not the school but the parent, child, and teacher. There are several public schools that had great teachers. My children attended Simmons-Marshall for 2 years. Both were very good in school and maintained good grades. During the 2nd year of attendance one of my sons had a teacher that did not control the class, my son along with other children were running over her. At that point, I decided to along with other family members to do pop up visits. It was chaotic. I moved my child to a Charter School and he is now back on track.

I say this not to say that Charter Schools are better but to say that I never pursued having my son placed in another class at that particular school. I immediately placed him in another school.

We as parents need to get more involved in not just the school but the community. Start attending some of the PTO meetings, start popping up every now and then at the school. Society has made it so easy to communicate these days.

Stop complaining about the situation and get involved. Our schools are only as strong as the community that we live no matter whether it is a Charter or Public School.