Saturday, December 6, 2008

Comedy King in St. Louis

D.L. Hughley  backstage at Dee Lee's House of Comedy
One of the orginal Kings of Comedy, D.L. Hughley is in town for a series of shows at Dee Lee's STL House of Comedy. I checked out the 8:30 Friday show with Matt Collins, Dee Lee, and Malik who all took the stage before Hughley. I was at the Pageant during D.L. Hughley's last stop in St. Louis and with not half the seats filled and and minimal laughter I was a little nervous about how he was going to keep us laughing on the landing.

                                                                 
Newcomer Matt Collins took the stage first with what seemed to be mixed reviews. I'm not sure if the folks were still cold from the night weathers or what, but I felt like only half the crowd got into him or maybe they were just a little stuck up to really relax and enjoy his style of comedy.

Dee Lee took the stage at his on comedy club in front of a sold out crowd. He is not just the owner folks, Dee Lee can hold his own on the stage like the seasoned pro he is. I guess that's why he will be taping his HBO special at the club on New Years Eve. If you enjoyed him when he was host of his own morning show on 100.3 Beat (before they replaced him with the non-funny Steve Harvey) then you will enjoy him even more on stage. If you won't be able to go to D.C. for the inauguration then don't worry because when Dee Lee does Barack Obama it's a night to remember.


Malik is not just a brother with swagger and a smile ladies, he can make you laugh too. He started out his show by telling the church ladies and preachers to get ready for some cursing and if they had a problem they didn't have no business in there anyway. Well he used some other words when he said it but I won't go there. This Miami native was funny as hell and reminded me of why I loved comedy shows so much. He was raunchy, funny and thought quick on his feet. He almost made me drop my camera from laughing so hard when he told one audience member that with all the leather he had on he was looking like the inside of a Lexus. If you get a chance to get to the show, make sure you buy this brothers DVD.


When D.L. Hughley took the stage I wasn't sure who I was going to get. Would it be the King of Comedy we all know and love or would he be in CNN mode with a more serious version of his comedic style. I was pleased that we got a little of both. He made it a point to talk about the basement like feel, which I hadn't noticed before, but it does remind you of a my aunt's basement in North St. Louis with all that stone and no windows...LOL. Overall I would have to say that D.L. Hughley performed like the King of Comedy that he is. He will be in St. Louis with 2 shows on Saturday night and his finale at Dee Lee's House of Comedy will be Sunday night with a 7pm performance. For more information or to purchase your tickets check out STL House of Comedy  and go support this top rated club because yo won't be disappointed. 

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so mad I missed this show cause I've never seen D.L. live.

Anonymous said...

We have our tickets for Sunday. I really do like this comedy club but the waitresses move a little slow sometimes even on slow nights.

Anonymous said...

I have my tickets for tonight's show.

also...love the site and will be checking it often. I have a friend that is an author, where do I send her info to you all so you can check it out.

Anonymous said...

i heart Dee Lee i used to love his morning show..i agree the steve harvey show is terribly unfunny

Jami B. said...

@Anonymous - email us at info@suitestl.com and we will be in touch with you.

Anonymous said...

I checked out the show last night and the guy with the dreds was a little funnier than D.L. put D.L. still can make a brother laugh