Monday, April 27, 2009

Between The Sheets

I know you are use to seeing fictional books in the Between The Sheets post, but your girl Cryss is very odd when it comes to reading. I read whatever tickles my little fancy and this book right here has to go down in my top five books ever. If you love the underdog then this is the book for you. Ms. Assata was part of the Black Panther Party, a group that was proud of who they were and tired of laying down to be stumped on. Their message fell on death ears to every race outside of the black one. They took their pride for being rebellious. And after reading her book I would say that they were rebellious but that is human nature to rebel when your back is against the wall. This book made me cry for the pain and the suffering that she endured at the hands of the FBI and the super racist J. Edgar Hoover. I wish she would have told of the escape from federal prison more, I am sure she didn't embellish only to protect the ones who helped her escape from prison. At the end of the book when you know she is safe and sound in Cuba you can't help but feel a sense of pride that starts in your belly and makes it way to the corners of your mouth in the form of a smile.

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I read a story about her for my class during black history month, this was one brave powerful sister. i hate fictional books so i was super delighted to see this one on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicole, Inc. said...

This is awesome book!!!! It is very easy to read and hard to put down once you start it. Thumbs up on the pick!

stlnubianqueen said...

I may have to pick this one up, I love me some real books, urban fiction is great but this right here tells a real story.