Sunday, August 16, 2009

DO YOU STILL LOVE HIP HOP?

On Saturday one promoter is calling Saturday "HIP HOPPERS HOLIDAY" When people say Hip Hop is Dead or Hip Hop has changed, do you agree? The Hip Hop that played through the hallways during our high school years (well not really on the loud speakers but through headphones) were PAC, TLC, Lauryn Hill, Dr. Dre, Outkast but some that came before us may have thought the tunes that kept us moving in the mid 90's wasn't REAL HIP HOP. Now Soulja Boy, Gucci Mane, Yo Gotti, and Lil Wayne fill up the iPods of almost everyone under 25.

The music has changed, but has it evolved or did all the talent go away with the 90's?
Is Hip Hop Dead or did you get too old to understand the new language?
Can the folks that listen to Mos Def, Black Spade, Lupe Fiasco, and Vandalyzm love Hip Hop as much as those that rock Webbie, Yo Gotti, Plies and Soulja Boy?
WHAT IS HIP HOP TO YOU?

6 Comments:

vanitaapplebum said...

Geezers Rock! LOL!

Anonymous said...

There is a level of disrespect the younger generation has or hip hop origins. I raised my son (14) to appreciate all music including hip hop, old and new. His iPod has KRS1, MC Lyte, jayz and my chemical romance. I wonder, because he was raised with real music (Coltrane, Rippleton, RUNDMC, and Mary J) has he rejected new artist like soulja boy and others.
I have a deep repect for these young artist and how they have appeared to take ownership of the rap game, but damn can we get some balance back in hip hop!

So no, while I do not believe hip hop is dead it has become monotoned, off balance and partially deaf to the diversity of the audiance - old and young.

DJ Who said...

@ chocolatemilk72.
Hope to see you and your son @ Hip Hoppers Holiday.

Thanks to suiteSTL for posting this.

Unknown said...

this event looks nuts!

Anonymous said...

this show looks nutty don't u mean that is just too many people

12kyle said...

I have to drop my .12 in on this...

The hip hop that we grew up on is dead. However, rap is here. And it's here to stay. What I'm saying is this...the days of spitting hot, relevant lyrics are long gone. Artists seem to be more concerned with everything other than being a true MC. As a result, the fan and the industry as a whole suffers. Rap has fall victim to gimmicks and trends. Record labels aren't interested in creating artists like LL Cool J who has been around for more than 20 years. The industry has fallen victim to the "microwave age". You put a rapper in the studio...tell him what to say...give him a simple beat...and you try to make the next hit.

That's where we are. Rappers worry about making the next hit. They don't worry about being dope. Before you think I'm a bitter old hip hop head, I'd tell anybody that I know more about hip hop than most people. I don't knock the likes of Lil Wayne, Jeezy, Souljah Boy and the rest of the rappers. I hope they make as much money as they can. More importantly, I hope they SAVE even more money. It's not about being hot. That's not what hip hop is about. When people tell me that Lil Wayne is hot, I simply ask them..."tell me who was hot 5 yrs ago."

True hip hip is dead. The great thing about it's death...you can always pop in a cassette tape, 45 inch record, or cd...and bring it back to life.